Do you have a question for the ASPCA about our organization, reporting animal cruelty, caring for your pet or another animal-related topic? We'd love to hear from you! But before you call or email, please check to see if your issue is addressed below.

*Please note: The information contained in the FAQs section is provided as a courtesy, and does not imply the endorsement, recommendation and/or approval of any company or organization.

Animal Cruelty

How can I help get animal-friendly legislation passed in my state?

Help get legislation passed by joining the ASPCA's Advocacy Brigade. As a member of our Advocacy Brigade, you will receive regular updates informing you of the introduction and status of various bills pending in your state legislature and Congress, and what you can do to help. Active involvement by concerned individuals like you is extremely important in the successful passage of legislation to better protect animals.

What groups work to end cruelty in other countries?

You may wish to contact the following organizations for overseas and international assistance:

How can I report animal cruelty?

Please visit our Report Animal Cruelty page to find detailed instructions for recognizing and reporting animal cruelty within New York City and elsewhere in the United States.

There, you will also find information about reporting:

  • Pet store cruelty
  • Cruelty depicted in movies and on television
  • Cruelty seen on websites
I’d like to make a complaint about a veterinarian. Who should I contact?

The ASPCA suggests the following options when you suspect your veterinarian of improper conduct, negligence or malpractice:

  • If the matter is a financial issue, contact your state Better Business Bureau or Department of Consumer Affairs.
  • If the matter is an operational or medical issue, contact your local veterinary medical association’s Ethics and Grievance Committee.
  • If the matter is a malpractice issue, contact your state’s veterinary licensing board. This is the agency that investigates allegations of misconduct. Another option is to file a lawsuit against the veterinarian in question.

You can call or write any vet clinic in your state to find contact information for the medical association and/or licensing board in your area. In addition, you can contact:

The American Association of Veterinary State Boards
(816) 931-1504
American Veterinary Medical Association
(800) 248-AVMA

Found Animals

I found a dead animal. Who should I call?

If you find a dead animal, you should call your local Department of Sanitation to have the animal removed as soon as possible. A dead animal can be a health hazard to people and other animals. In New York City, the general information number of the Department of Sanitation is (212) 219-8090.

I found a stray/injured/abandoned animal. Who can I call for help?

In NYC: Please contact Animal Care and Control (AC&C) by calling 311 (for all five boroughs). AC&C is not affiliated with the ASPCA.

Outside NYC: Contact your local humane organization, animal control officer, or Police Department for assistance.

Help, I found a hurt/orphaned squirrel/bird/rabbit/etc.!

Please know that the ASPCA does not have certified wildlife rehabilitators on staff, nor do we have wildlife experts or a wildlife department.

For answers to wildlife questions, you can visit the following websites:

Some situations involving nuisance wildlife in your home or on your property may require the professional services of a company that specializes in removing wildlife from private property. The ASPCA urges you to use reputable companies who specialize in the humane removal and/or release of captured wildlife.

I think I've found someone's pet. What can I do?

For lost or found pets in New York City, please contact Animal Care and Control (AC&C) by calling 311 or search their online database.

Outside NYC: Report a lost or found animal to your local shelter or animal control facility immediately. Because animal control facilities are often overwhelmed with unclaimed and unwanted animals, time is of the essence. If you find an animal, keep in mind that someone is most likely looking for this pet, and if you don't report it to your shelter, the owner may never be reunited with his or her animal. You may also wish to place flyers around the neighborhood or an ad in your local newspaper. If you want to keep a pet whose owner cannot be located, consult your local humane organization for advice on how to proceed.

Pet Care

I can no longer keep my pet. What can I do?

The ASPCA considers pets to be members of the family. With many millions of companion animals surrendered to animal shelters each year, and countless stray animals roaming our streets, giving up a companion animal is not a decision to be taken lightly. If circumstances arise that prohibit you from caring for your pet, there may be options for you to consider before relinquishing your pet.

Many companion animals are given up by their owners because of behavior problems—and in most cases, there are things you can do to change your animal's unwanted behavior. Before you give up on your pet, please consult a reputable trainer or animal behaviorist for assistance. Your local humane organization can help with a referral. You can also see our  online behavior information for helpful tips to common problems.

If you have made up your mind to re-home your companion animal, your best bet is to find your pet a home through your own personal contacts (i.e., your veterinarian, dog walker, pet sitter, friends, family, co-workers, etc.). You may also wish to list your pet on Petfinder.com. Or, visit Get Your Pet to connect with people near you who are looking to adopt a companion animal, and meet potential adopters to find a good home for your pet.

Do not give up if you do not find a home for your animal right away! Finding an ideal home for a companion animal may take considerable time and effort, but your pet's future is in your hands. Be sure to screen potential adopters carefully; ask them for references; inquire about employment, financial stability, and previous pet ownership. Ask to visit their homes before you place your animal to ensure that the environment is suitable, and be sure to follow up with calls and visits.

If you can no longer keep a purebred dog, you may wish to visit the American Kennel Club's website, which provides a list of breed-specific rescue groups that place purebred dogs in homes. Putting your pet in a shelter should be your last resort. Most animal shelters operate at full capacity, and there is often a waiting list to get an animal into a shelter. Even if your pet does qualify for entrance into a shelter and there is space available, there are no guarantees that your pet will be adopted quickly, or at all. Most shelters reserve the right to end the life of any animal evaluated to be unfit for adoption, or if time or space has run out. Rules and regulations vary in every shelter, and so do the conditions. Make sure that any shelter you bring your animal to has a reputation for humane conditions and successful adoptions. To find a shelter near you, please visit our Find a Shelter page.

I think my pet is sick. Who can help me?

The ASPCA regrets that we are unable to provide specific medical advice for your pet, or to comment on the medical care offered by a licensed health care professional. In order to properly diagnose a medical condition, a licensed veterinarian should be consulted. Self-diagnosis or delay seeking proper veterinary care may worsen your pet's condition.

If your pet is showing unusual or abnormal behavior or exhibiting signs of illness, such as loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea, or blood in the stool or urine, you should consult your veterinarian as soon as possible. Early detection and treatment of medical problems offers the best chance of successful treatment.

For general information about pet health care problems, please visit our Pet Care section.

You may also wish to visit the following websites:

The information on these websites may best be used in helping you to identify symptoms to enable the best possible treatment by a licensed professional. Write down the symptoms you've observed, when you observed them, and anything else that you think could have contributed to your pet's condition, including change of diet, etc., to discuss with a professional.

The ASPCA cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information posted on these sites.

Do I have to get a license for my dog?

A current pet license is your dog's ticket home should he or she become lost. And in New York City and many other areas in the country, it is also the law. A dog license helps your community keep tabs on pet populations, helps fund animal and humane health programs (i.e., spay/neuter, rabies programs, animal waste removal/sanitation, etc.), and helps foster responsible pet ownership.

Outside New York City
Contact your veterinarian, local humane organization, or town hall to determine what agency issues dog licenses and how to get one.

In New York City
Dog licenses are issued by the NYC Department of Health (DOH)—contact them by dialing 311. You can also download an application for a NYC Dog License.

Help! My pet needs emergency medical care!

For information about finding emergency care for your pet in New York City or elsewhere, please visit our Emergency Care page.

In New York City, you may choose to seek emergency care at the ASPCA Animal Hospital, which is located at 424 East 92nd Street, between 1st and York Aves. Hospital hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M., and Saturday from 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. The Hospital is closed on Sundays. Our phone number is (212) 876-7700.

I need financial help with my vet bills.

The first step is to ask your animal hospital or private vet whether they offer a payment plan. Your local humane organization or animal advocacy group also may have information about other groups or organizations in your area that assist pet owners with veterinary bills.

In addition, if you live in a state that has a large college or university with degree programs in Veterinary Medicine, you may wish to contact the school and department for information about low-cost services they might offer through their programs.

The following organizations may be a good resource for other affordable options for veterinary care. The information given below is provided as a courtesy and does not imply the endorsement, recommendation and/or approval of any company or organization.

Groups that are breed- or injury-specific:

In New York City only:

My landlord wants to evict me because I have a pet. What should I do?

If you have received legal notice regarding pets and housing, you'll need to learn about the PET LAW and consult with an attorney. Visit our NYC FAQ for more on the Pet Law in New York City.

If you are a dog owner who has recently experienced a problem obtaining or renewing your homeowner's insurance due to breed bias or other reasons, please see this article from the American Kennel Club.

You may also wish to contact:

What are the leash laws in my town? What if I see an off-leash dog?

Pet owners who allow their pets to roam unattended are putting the animals' welfare in jeopardy and creating a nuisance to neighbors, other domestic pets and wildlife. Allowing dogs to run off leash in inappropriate places is dangerous for the dog, puts people and other animals at risk and, in many towns and cities, is illegal. Leash laws exist to protect animals and people, and we urge you, as a responsible pet owner, to abide by them. Any animal control officer, police officer, or appropriate law enforcement agent can issue a summons upon witnessing a violation. Contact your local humane organization or animal control facility to determine what laws apply in your area.

In New York City: For leash law complaints in New York City, please contact the Department of Health at (212) 442-9666.

The ASPCA applauds the New York City Board of Health’s December 2006 decision to allow dogs to run without leashes in certain parks between 9:00 P.M. and 9:00 A.M. This new legislation codifies the off-leash courtesy many Big Apple parks have had in effect for nearly two decades. Download a PDF of the complete amendment to Article 161 of the New York City Health Code .

The ASPCA encourages dog owners to show their gratitude by cleaning up after their pets, obtaining a dog license and spaying or neutering their pets.

How can I spay/neuter my pet for free or at low-cost?

Please visit our database for a list of organizations that offer free or low-cost spay/neuter services.

My pet is lost!

In NYC: For lost or found pets in New York City, please contact Animal Care and Control (AC&C) by calling 311 or search their online database.

Outside NYC: Report a lost or found animal to your local shelter or animal control facility immediately. Because animal control facilities are often overwhelmed with unclaimed and unwanted animals, time is of the essence. You may also wish to place flyers around the neighborhood or an ad in your local newspaper. Please visit our Finding a Lost Pet page to learn more.

Should I microchip my pet?

The ASPCA strongly recommends that pet owners consider microchipping their pets, in addition to a current dog license and identification tag. You may also wish to discuss microchipping with your local veterinarian.

The following companies provide microchipping services:

Help—I think my pet has eaten something poisonous!

If you suspect your pet may have been poisoned or has ingested a toxic substance, call the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at (888) 426-4435. APCC is a national telephone hotline available 24 hours a day/7 days a week and staffed by veterinarians and Board Certified Veterinary Toxicologists. Please note: There is a fee for this lifesaving service.

My pet has died—what should I do? Who can I talk to?

Losing a pet is never easy, and you don't have to go through it alone. Please visit our End of Life Care page for more information.

Where can I find a pet sitter? Should I board my pet?

Boarding facilities*: The ASPCA strongly advises a visit and thorough inspection of each potential boarding facility, even if the facility has been recommended to you. Ask for, and check, references from other clients, inquire about the facility, its hours of operation, supervision of animals, exercise regimens, dietary provisions, affiliation with veterinarians in the community and staff qualifications. It's a good idea to check the reputation of a potential boarding facility with local veterinarians, trainers, etc.

Pet sitters*: If a boarding facility is not right for your pet, consider a professional pet sitter, who can care for your animal in your home or theirs. For referrals to a reputable pet sitter, you may wish to contact:

*The ASPCA does not independently investigate or endorse any pet sitting or boarding facility.

Shelters and Adoption

How can I adopt a pet?

In NYC: The ASPCA Adoption Center is located at 424 East 92nd Street (between 1st and York Avenues). Please visit our Adoption Center page for hours of operation and for information about our adoptable animals. You can also visit one of NYC Animal Care and Control's shelters to adopt a pet. Visit their website to see photos of available animals and get information about adopting.

Outside NYC: Visit our Find a Shelter page to find an adoption center in your area. You can also visit Petfinder.com, an online database of about 60,000 adoptable animals at thousands of shelters and rescue groups throughout the United States. You can search this site by breed, sex, age, gender and location.

How can I start my own shelter, assist my local shelter or make a complaint about a shelter?

The ASPCA's Community Outreach department welcomes requests for help from people looking to improve the lives of animals in their communities. Every year the ASPCA visits hundreds of shelters throughout the country, talking with directors, volunteers and employees, discussing their problems and assisting them with suggestions, materials and resources. It takes a lot more than good intentions to run a shelter, and the ASPCA's Community Outreach team is staffed by seasoned animal welfare professionals who are there to help with sheltering situations in YOUR area.

Donating to the ASPCA

I do not have a checking account. May I send a money order?

Of course! Please make your money order out to the ASPCA and send it to:
ASPCA Gift Processing Center, PO Box 96929, Washington, DC 20077-7127.

I do not have a credit card. May I send a check?

Yes, you may. Please make your check out to the ASPCA and send it to:
ASPCA Gift Processing Center, PO Box 96929, Washington, DC 20077-7127.

What Is Your Employer Identification Number (EIN) Or Tax Identification Number (TIN)?


How do I know I am donating to the ASPCA?

All ASPCA donation pages use EV SSL certification, which is indicated by the VeriSign Trusted logo. EV SSL certification is the highest level of authentication currently available and ensures that any information provided is safe and secure. In addition, all ASPCA donation pages redirect to a secure https: web address that contains ASPCA.org in the URL. If any of those items are missing, no donation through the site should be made.

If you suspect an email or website may be fraudulent, please contact the ASPCA directly at [email protected] to verify if we are aware of the situation, have authorized the use of our name, and do in fact receive support from them. Report any incidents of consumer fraud or deception directly to the Federal Trade Commission at http://www.ftc.gov/charityfraud or call (877) FTC-HELP. If you believe an organization or website may not be operating for its claimed charitable purpose, contact your state Attorney General or the Better Business Bureau.

I have questions about my Guardian (monthly gift) account.

We want to make life as a Guardian a little bit easier, so we've put together some of the more commonly asked questions! Of course, if you have a question not covered here, please feel free to contact: (800) 628-0028. Please be sure to have your membership ID number handy for fastest service.

Q: How can I make changes to my account, i.e. change amount, change my credit card number? A: It's so easy! Please just call (800) 628-0028. If we receive your change prior to the month's processing deadline we can make the change effective for that month. If not, it'll take effect the next month.

Q: I currently send you a check every month...How do I go about having automatic deductions from my checking account? A: Just fill out the EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) section on the back of your Guardian statement and return it with your pledge. Be sure to check off the change of payment type box on the front of your statement too before sending in back in the envelope provided.

Q: I'm a check writer and my statement shows two open months—the current and the last. I never miss a month and therefore find this very upsetting. What is happening? A: The current one is always open due to it being the reminder. If your previous check was deposited after the 21st, then it missed the statement printing deadline and will appear on the next statement. It really just boils down to timing and is not a reflection of your commitment, or our bookkeeping.

Q: Can I stop whenever I want? A: Of course! Just call (800) 628-0028. Your cancellation will take place the same month, or the following month, depending upon when we receive your call.

Q: I've been a Guardian for several months, but have not received any letters verifying my donations for tax purposes. Will I be receiving one? A: Yes, Guardian participants receive one statement reflecting the prior year's total contributions (Please note that this statement will not contain donations made to our regular or other restricted funds). This statement is usually mailed in February.

Q: I love being a Guardian, but I want my money to go to a specific fund. How do I go about that? A: Unfortunately, we cannot allocate your money to another restricted fund. Part of being a Guardian is that you are helping the ASPCA in all its' many programs and efforts.

Q: I signed up to be a credit card Guardian, but I'm still receiving a monthly statement and no charges have appeared on my credit card. What's up? A: Guardian transactions take place but once per month. Therefore, depending on when your request was received/processed, it can take up to a month and a half for you to see a charge appear on your card and for the statements to stop. If it's longer than that, the please bring it to our attention so we can look into the situation for you.

Q: I'm a Guardian, but I am receiving renewal notices. Aren't I considered a member? A: You may have a duplicate record on our database or you may have joined the Guardian program after the renewal mailing was prepared. If you receive more than one renewal notice please call us at (800) 628-0028 and we will look into this for you.

How do I make a gift in someone's honor or memory?

There are three ways to make a tribute donation:

Online:You can make an honor gift or memorial gift online. This is a very simple process, and the fastest way for your message to be sent.
By mail: If you’d like to send a check, please enclose a note indicating the name of the deceased or honoree, the name and the address of the person you wish us to contact concerning the donation, and who it is from. We will send out a tribute card to the person you’ve indicated. Please send your check to: ASPCA Tributes, 520 8th Ave., 7th Floor, New York, NY 10018.
By phone: We also accept credit card donations over the phone. Please call (800) 628-0028.

I have already renewed my membership, but continue to receive renewal notices.

This is the result of a timing issue between the date your renewal gift is received and keyed onto our member database and the date of our next renewal mailing. If you have renewed, please disregard any additional notices that you may have received—and thank you for your support.

I am interested in making a donation to the ASPCA in honor of my wedding guests in lieu of favors.

Thank you so much for your inquiry. We have special place cards that indicate that a donation has been made in honor of guests in lieu of favors. If you wish, a sample card can be emailed to you for review. To receive place cards, you can donate online at www.aspca.org/wedding. You can also call (212) 876-7700, ext. 4516 to make your credit card donation over the phone and your cards will be shipped. For more information, you can email Linda Tiramani at [email protected].

A friend of mine received your adorable labels and I would like to get some, too.

We’re very happy you enjoy the labels, but unfortunately, individual orders cannot be taken. Those particular labels are mass-produced for membership solicitations.

How much does it cost to become a member, and what does membership entitle me to?

There are three levels of ASPCA membership:

Regular Membership—$25 annually. Membership is from January to December. We begin sending out renewal notices in January of each year. With regular membership, you are entitled to our full-color newsletter, ASPCA Action. The publication will keep you updated on all ASPCA events and programs. To join today, please visit our Donate section.
Monthly Membership—ASPCA Guardian Program for monthly gifts of $10 or more. As a Guardian member, you are entitled to our member newsletter, ASPCA Action, as well as a special quarterly Guardian Newsletter, and access to a special Guardians-only website. To enroll today, please visit our Donate section. As Guardian memberships are continuous, there is no need to renew your support each year.
Founder’s Society—Annual gifts of $500 or more. Founder’s Society Membership runs from January to December. As a Founder’s Society member, you are entitled to our member newsletter, ASPCA Action, as well as a listing in our Annual Report. To join today, please visit our Donate section.

I recently made a donation, but my credit card was charged more than once. What should I do?

Thank you very much for your donation—and we are so sorry for any inconvenience that you may be having. First, you’ll need to determine if the extra charge on your online credit card statement is a pending charge. A pending charge usually means that you submitted incomplete or inaccurate information when you made your donation. Even if you received an error message, your credit card company will still place a pending line item on your online statement. If you have determined that the extra charge is a pending charge, it will be cancelled by your bank in a few days. If it is not a pending charge, and has not been cancelled after a few days, please contact [email protected].

Mail from the ASPCA

I am receiving multiple mailing to the same address.

We most likely have more than one member record for you in our database.

Please call (800) 628-0028 or email [email protected]. We will be happy to remedy this for you. To ensure a quick resolution, please provide us with complete name and address information.

I wish to update my address/be removed from your mailing list/remove a deceased individual from the mailing list.

Please call (800) 628-0028 or email [email protected]. We will be happy to accommodate you. To ensure a quick resolution, please provide us with complete name and address information.

I wish to receive fewer solicitations. How do I stop receiving so much mail?

If you’d like to receive fewer solicitations, please contact (800) 628-0028 or email [email protected]. We will be happy to rectify the situation for you. Please be aware that it will take a bit of time to process this request, because mailings are prepared in advance. You may not see a marked difference for a few months.

Other Questions about the ASPCA

How can I find out about ASPCA fundraising events?

The ASPCA Special Events department creates and engineers major fundraising events for the ASPCA. Each year, this department hosts the National Humane Awards Luncheon, the Bergh Ball, and a celebratory night for our Young Friends of the "A." Additionally, we create and manage all fundraising, cultivation, and staff events, as well as the ASPCA's Annual Meeting. Should you have interest in attending any ASPCA fundraising event, please email Katie Landow in the Special Events department at [email protected].

Does the ASPCA have member publications?

ASPCA Action is published twice a year and is sent to ASPCA members.
ASPCA News Alert is our free weekly email newsletter. You can sign up to receive News Alert here.

How many ASPCAs are there in the United States?

There is only one ASPCA, and we are headquartered in New York City, founded in 1866 as the first animal welfare organization in the Americas. Although there are SPCAs and humane societies all over the country, we are not directly affiliated with them.

I'm a member of the media—where can I find press information? Has the ASPCA been in the news lately?

The ASPCA is regularly the subject of news coverage in local and national print and broadcast media outlets. Numerous programs, activities and animal-related issues were brought to the media's attention through our ongoing proactive outreach and the handling of daily requests from reporters for expert comment on animal-welfare related topics. ASPCA staff appears in news venues, including top-rated network, cable and local television stations, major newspapers, national magazines, national radio networks and online news sites. For current media news, please visit our online pressroom. Reporters and members of the media, please contact the ASPCA's Media and Communications Department at [email protected] or call (212) 876-7700 ext. 4655

Working with Animals

I am interested in working for the ASPCA. How can I find out more?

The ASPCA has established many programs that relieve the pain, fear and suffering of animals. At our New York City headquarters, we operate an Animal Hospital and Adoption Center. The ASPCA also serves animals through departments such as Legal, Special Events, Fundraising and Development and Strategic Cause Partnerships. In addition, the ASPCA has facilities in Urbana, Illinois, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles, California.

We encourage candidates who demonstrate outstanding inter-personal communication and the ability to work in a team environment or independently, with a high degree of integrity and accountability.

The ASPCA offers generous benefit packages for full-time employees and if qualified, we offer domestic partner coverage! Our benefits include: Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, 401(k), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Transit checks, Tuition Assistance Program, Training Seminars, EAP, 50% hospital discount, Vacation, Sick, Personal & Company Holiday time off.

Please visit our Careers page to find and apply for open positions in a variety of departments.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, Vietnam-era or disabled veteran status in its employment programs and policies.

I would like to volunteer at the ASPCA.

The ASPCA’s volunteer program is vital to our operation, and our volunteers are making an impact in many areas. Today, volunteers assist in the care and placement of the animals housed in our shelter, educate the public and provide support for administrative programs.

Visit our Volunteer Opportunities page  for more information. If you aren’t in New York City, please see our article on Finding a Shelter to find an organization near you.

Website and Email Questions

How can I submit a photo to the ASPCA?

You may submit your photo to us using this form.

How can I change my email address or mailing address in the ASPCA database?

Please email us your old and new email address to [email protected].

How do I unsubscribe from ASPCA newsletters and emails?

Please click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email the ASPCA sends out. If you have already deleted your email from the ASPCA, you can send us an unsubscribe request to [email protected].

To stay up-to-date on the latest news from the ASPCA, please follow us on Facebook  and  Twitter!

Can I use articles/logos/photos from the ASPCA website for my website/magazine/newspaper?

The ASPCA authorizes permission to reprint specific articles, photos, and other educational information on a case-by-case basis. To consider your reprint request, please provide the ASPCA with the following information:

  • The full legal name of the organization requesting permission to reprint.
  • Contact information (organization name, address, phone number, e-mail).
  • The type of organization requesting reprint authorization (e.g. for-profit or not-for-profit).
  • The location and date the requested information appeared on the ASPCA website.
  • Purpose of the reprint request.

Information may be provided via email, regular mail, and/or fax to the following addresses/fax number:

Attn.: Legal Department
424 E. 92nd Street
New York, NY 10128
Fax: (212) 860-3560
[email protected]

Please allow at least two weeks for processing after all information has been received by the ASPCA Legal Department. The ASPCA's failure to reply to any reprint request is NOT implied or explicit permission to use such materials. Permission to reprint any ASPCA material is made on a one-time only basis; additional reprint requests must be approved by the ASPCA.


Where can I find an attorney who has experience in issues involving animals?

The ASPCA Legal Department provides counsel to the ASPCA and cannot give out legal advice to or act as an attorney for outside organizations or individuals. We do, however, offer information on resources nationwide that may be helpful in resolving problems.

Please note that while the ASPCA does not endorse any of the following organizations, they may be able to refer you to a lawyer with animal law experience in your area:

  • The Association of the Bar of the City of New York Legal Referral Service: (212) 626-7373
  • ABCNY Committee on Legal Issues Pertaining to Animals (Contact Meena Alagappan)
  • Legal Aid in New York City
  • Manhattan: (212) 426-3000, (212) 577-3300
  • Bronx: (718) 991-4600
  • Brooklyn: (718) 722-3100, (718) 645-6613
  • Queens: (718) 286-2450
  • Staten Island: (718) 273-6677
  • Legal Services for New York City: (212) 431-7200
  • Animal Legal Defense Fund: (707) 795-2533
  • American Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service: (800) 285-2221
  • Municode.com (Information on local laws and ordinances)
How many pets are in the United States? How many animals are in shelters?

Please visit our Pet Statistics page for information about homeless pets, animal shelters, pet adoption and more.

You may also wish to visit:
The National Council on Pet Population Study & Policy (NCPPSP)
The American Veterinary Medical Association  (see U.S. Pet Ownership and Demographics)

Also, the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association is a great resource for statistics on pets and pet ownership in the United States. You can visit them and order their most current survey.

The following websites offer detailed information on homeless and unwanted animals, the pet overpopulation crisis, and the importance of spaying and neutering your pets:

I’d like to know more about service dogs.

Patriot Paws is committed to train service dogs that will enhance the lives of disabled veterans who have sacrificed so much for our nation and to provide a service for other American’s with mobile disabilities. To meet this goal, Patriot PAWS intends to build partnerships with community and state organizations to help support this undertaking.