Announcing the ASPCA’s #FindYourFido Campaign! Find Out How You Can Get Involved
October is Adopt a Shelter Dog month, a time to celebrate our canine friends who’ve been adopted into loving homes—and to raise critical awareness of the 3.3 million dogs who enter shelters each year. That’s why the ASPCA is launching our new nationwide #FindYourFido campaign to help shelter dogs get their second chance. We’re collaborating with hundreds of animal shelters, rescue groups and partners to show everyone just how much love, loyalty and joy adopted animals can bring to peoples’ lives. By asking everyone to join the #FindYourFido movement, we hope to help more shelter dogs nationwide find loving homes.
All month long, Fido—a life-size cardboard cutout ambassador for shelter dogs—will travel across the country through “virtual fosters” to highlight the many benefits of adopting a pet. Fido’s fosters will share their exciting adventures with him—hitting the town, visiting a local park, or socializing with other dogs at a shelter— with the hashtag #FindYourFido. These photos will automatically populate on the Fido homepage, where you can see #FindYourFido support from all over the country.
Last time we spotted him, Fido was hailing a cab in New York City, then off to Washington D.C. where he took in some national monuments and posed in front of the Capitol Building! Where will he pop up next?
Here’s what will be happening this month, and how you can get involved!
1. Animal lovers everywhere can follow Fido’s adventures and help spread his message by posting photos on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook with their own rescue pet or a shelter pet in need of a home with the hashtag #FindYourFido. We have a custom Fido photo filter you can use, and you can even print your very own Fido!
2. Enter our Nylabone story submission contest and take the Fido quiz!
3. Adopt! The ASPCA Adoption Center is celebrating Adopt a Shelter Dog month in a big way! From October 2 through October 9, all adoptable dogs over the age of one will be available at a half-price adoption fee. Meet some of our charming adoptable dogs today!
For those of you in the Tri-State area, we will also be holding two adoption events in honor of the Fido launch:
- City Howl Adoption Event: Thursday, October 5 join the ASPCA, Mayor’s Community Affairs Unit, NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and Animal Care Centers of NYC for a dog adoption event from 4:00 to 7:00 P.M. at City Hall Park in Manhattan.
- Find Your Fido and Friends Adoption Event: Saturday, October 7 join the ASPCA, Animal Care Centers of NYC and the NYPD for an event featuring adoptable dogs, cats and rabbits from 1:00 to 5:00 P.M. in Central Park. This event will include giveaways while supplies last!
Your very own Fido could be waiting for you, so you won’t want to miss out on this exciting month-long celebration!