ASPCA Adoption Center in NYC
NYC residents will need to pay applicable DOH dog license fees.
Dog License Fees
Spayed or Neutered, Any Age
Non-Spayed or Neutered, Over 4 Months
Non-Spayed or Neutered, Under 4 Months
Please note that all adult cats and some kittens who are available for adoption will be required to go home in a secure pet carrier. If you already own a secure pet carrier, we encourage you to bring it with you when you come to adopt. We strongly urge all adopters, especially those adopting cats over nine months old, to invest in a secure pet carrier. For your convenience, we have these pet carriers available for purchase or rent for a fee of $35.
*Some exceptions apply
- Though the adoption process is currently taking place remotely through the use of video conferencing, you will be required to pick up your adopted pet from the ASPCA Adoption Center in New York City.
- Many of our adoptions are done virtually using video conferencing, but some pets may be available for in-person meet-and-greets. Our Matchmakers will tell you more about our adoption process if they determine that you and the pet you applied for are a good fit.
- You must be 18 years of age or older to adopt.
- Adopters are required to provide a non-expired government issued photo ID with date of birth (e.g. Driver’s License, State Identification Card, Passport, etc.); in some cases, a separate proof of current address may be required (such as a lease or a telephone, utility or cable bill) and we recommend adopters have this available. You will also be asked to provide the names for each member of the household over the age of 18.
- Be sure to check your building’s policy relevant to pet ownership to avoid any landlord concerns.
You can donate much-needed items directly to the ASPCA Adoption Center or Kitten Nursery through our AmazonSmile Charity Lists. You can also volunteer your time for animals in need in NYC through our foster and volunteer programs!
|Fostering for the ASPCA|
Learn more about our animal foster care program and get started today!
|Volunteering at the ASPCA|
See volunteer opportunities and find out how to get involved.