ASPCA Adoption Center in NYC
The ASPCA Onyx and Breezy Shefts Adoption Center, located on Manhattan's Upper East Side, is a spacious, state-of-the-art shelter with highly qualified veterinarians and behavior counselors on staff.
We are located at 424 E. 92nd St. (between 1st and York Avenues) in Manhattan, New York City, 10128. Our phone number is (212) 876-7700 ext. 4120.
About Our Adoption Center
The ASPCA Adoption Center is temporarily closed to the public. We are currently offering a remote adoption process to make it possible for you to virtually meet our adoptable animals. To learn more, view some of the animals looking for homes above, and submit an adoption survey found on those pages.
We’re so glad you’re considering adopting from the ASPCA Adoption Center! Our wonderful adoptable cats and dogs would love to virtually meet you through our new remote adoption process! If you’re ready to bring home a furry family member, here are some things to consider:
- We are currently only offering minimal-contact remote adoptions for our available cats. If you’re interested in adopting, we welcome you to fill out our cat adoption survey. Once we receive your survey, we will contact you with more information on how our adoption process works and how we can best match you with your new furry friend. Please check back later for more information regarding dog adoptions.
- You must be 18 years of age or older to adopt.
- Adopters are required to provide a non-expired government issued photo ID with date of birth (e.g. Driver’s License, State Identification Card, Passport, etc.); in some cases, a separate proof of current address may be required (such as a lease or a telephone, utility or cable bill) and we recommend adopters have this available. You will also be asked to provide the names for each member of the household over the age of 18.
- Be sure to check your building’s policy relevant to pet ownership to avoid any landlord concerns.
- If you have any questions, please call the Adoption Desk at (212) 876-7700, ext. 4120.
- Though the adoption process will take place remotely through the use of video conferences and other technology, you will be required to pick up your adopted pet from the ASPCA Adoption Center. During the adoption process, a Matchmaker can discuss this with you in greater detail.
All adoption fees waived!
NYC residents will need to pay applicable DOH dog license fees: see below.
Dog License Fees
|Spayed or Neutered, Any Age||$8.50|
|Non-Spayed or Neutered, Over 4 Months||$34.00|
|Non-Spayed or Neutered, Under 4 Months||$8.50|
Please note that some of the cats available for adoption will be required to go home in a secure pet carrier. If you already own a secure pet carrier, we encourage you to bring it with you when you come to adopt. We strongly urge all adopters, especially those adopting cats over nine months old, to invest in a secure pet carrier. For your convenience, we have these pet carriers available for purchase or rent for a fee of $35.
*Some exceptions apply
We have temporarily suspended our in-person donation process, but donations are always needed! Please visit our AmazonSmile Charity lists if you would still like to donate items to the ASPCA Adoption Center or Kitten Nursery. Items purchased through these lists will be mailed directly from Amazon to the ASPCA. If you are interested in making a monetary donation, please click the “donate” button.