ASPCA Adoption Center in NYC
About Our Adoption Center
The ASPCA Onyx and Breezy Shefts Adoption Center, located on Manhattan's Upper East Side, is a spacious, state-of-the-art shelter with highly qualified veterinarians and behavior counselors on staff.
We are located at 424 E. 92nd St. (between 1st and York Avenues) in Manhattan, New York City, 10128. Our phone number is (212) 876-7700 ext. 4120.
We’re so glad you’re considering adopting from the ASPCA Adoption Center! If you’re ready to bring home a furry family member, here are some things to consider:
- Many of our adoptions are done virtually using video conferencing, but some pets may be available for in-person meet-and-greets. Our Matchmakers will tell you more about our adoption process if they determine that you and the pet you applied for are a good fit.
- You must be 18 years of age or older to adopt.
- Adopters are required to provide a non-expired government issued photo ID with date of birth (e.g. Driver’s License, State Identification Card, Passport, etc.); in some cases, a separate proof of current address may be required (such as a lease or a telephone, utility or cable bill) and we recommend adopters have this available. You will also be asked to provide the names for each member of the household over the age of 18.
- Be sure to check your building’s policy relevant to pet ownership to avoid any landlord concerns.
- Though the adoption process is currently taking place remotely through the use of video conferencing, you will be required to pick up your adopted pet from the ASPCA Adoption Center in New York City.
The ASPCA Adoption Center encourages a $150 suggested adoption fee when adopting an animal. This suggested adoption fee allows the ASPCA to continue our lifesaving work and help even more animals in need. We are grateful for any and all amounts given at the time of adoption.
NYC residents will need to pay applicable DOH dog license fees: see below.
Dog License Fees
|Spayed or Neutered, Any Age||$8.50|
|Non-Spayed or Neutered, Over 4 Months||$34.00|
|Non-Spayed or Neutered, Under 4 Months||$8.50|
Please note that all adult cats and some kittens who are available for adoption will be required to go home in a secure pet carrier. If you already own a secure pet carrier, we encourage you to bring it with you when you come to adopt. We strongly urge all adopters, especially those adopting cats over nine months old, to invest in a secure pet carrier. For your convenience, we have these pet carriers available for purchase or rent for a fee of $35.
*Some exceptions apply
The ASPCA is always in need of items such as towels, flat sheets, toys, unopened treats, cat carriers and more. These items can be dropped off in the donations bin in our lobby at 424 E. 92nd St. In addition, you can visit our AmazonSmile Charity Lists if you would like to donate new items to the ASPCA Adoption Center or Kitten Nursery. Items purchased through these lists will be mailed directly from Amazon to the ASPCA. If you are interested in making a monetary donation, please click the “donate” button. Thank you for your support!