Help! What Happens on North Carolina Farms Does Not Stay in North Carolina
Update—May 29, 2015: Great news! Governor McCrory vetoed H.B. 405, the dangerous ag-gag bill that would have silenced whistleblowers and kept North Carolina residents in the dark about horrific animal abuse on industrial farms. If you live in North Carolina, please visit the ASPCA Advocacy Center now to thank the Governor for opposing this bill and to urge your state legislators to let the veto stand.
North Carolina is home to nearly 800 million chickens, 30 million turkeys and 10 million pigs, making it one of the leading producers of poultry and pork in this country. No matter where you live, North Carolina animal products are going to your state.
That’s why it’s everyone’s problem that North Carolina is dangerously close to passing an ag-gag law that would prevent investigations on factory farms and keep animal abuse and food safety concerns out of public sight.
The bill, H.B. 405, is with North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory and he has only days left to veto it before it becomes law.
Whether or not you live in North Carolina, you can help! If you believe those who blow the whistle on animal abuse and protect our food supply are heroes, not criminals, please take these actions today to help ensure this bill does not become law:
North Carolina residents:
- Call Governor McCrory at (919) 814-2000 and leave a message with the receptionist stating that you are a North Carolina resident and are asking Governor McCrory to veto H.B. 405, the ag-gag bill. If you are calling after normal business hours, please call (919) 814-2050 and press 2 to leave a voicemail.
- Email Governor McCrory using this online form to urge him to veto H.B. 405. Please only email the Governor if you are a North Carolina resident.
- Tweet at Governor McCrory asking him to veto the ag-gag bill. You could tweet something like: Animals shouldn’t suffer in secret! @PatMcCroryNC, please veto HB405! #NCAgGag #NCpol
- Share this post and the card below with your friends and social media networks, asking everyone to take action today!
Not in North Carolina? Your voice is critical, too! Because your dollars support North Carolina businesses, you can still help by letting Governor McCrory know that you’ll lose trust in North Carolina businesses if ag-gag becomes law.
- Tweet at Governor McCrory, the North Carolina Chamber of Commerce and the North Carolina Retail Merchants Association to let them know that you won’t trust North Carolina products or businesses if ag-gag prevents whistleblowers from coming forward in the state.
You can post these pre-drafted messages, or use your own:
#NCAgGag puts ALL consumers at risk! @PatMcCroryNC, please veto HB405!
.@NCChamber @NCRMA @PatMcCroryNC #NCAgGag is everyone’s problem. What is NC trying to hide?
- Next, share the card below with your social media networks to show you stand with North Carolina!
Thank you for speaking up for farm animals, America!