A Chicken Farmer Blows the Barn Doors Open
Chicken Scratch is an ASPCA Blog feature that highlights interesting news about farm animals and farm animal welfare.
- “They’re not happy. And they’re definitely not healthy.” These are the words of one fed-up contract farmer who allowed cameras into his barn to reveal exactly how factory-farmed chickens live. Watch the video and be sure to sign our petition calling on the chicken industry to improve their standards.
- Major British retailer Marks & Spencer is taking on the UK chicken industry’s longstanding problem with Campylobacter, a bacteria that causes food poisoning in the U.S. as well. After watching the video above it’s not surprising factory-farmed chickens are susceptible to disease.
- According to a recent survey done by the American Humane Association (AHA), over 75% of respondents said they would pay more for humanely raised eggs, meat and dairy products, but half said these products aren’t available in their grocery stores.
- We can’t hide our disappointment with Governor Chris Christie’s decision to veto a bill that would have banned gestation crates for pregnant pigs in New Jersey. But in an indication of how the tide is turning on this issue, the bill enjoyed strong bipartisan support in the state legislature and even celebrity support!
- On a lighter note: We get by with a little help from our…chickens!? Check out these adorable chickens who are helping the elderly tackle loneliness.
Photo courtesy of Compassion in World Farming (CIWF)