We currently offer FREE spay/neuter surgeries for unowned cats trapped in Buncombe County.
Call to Make an Appointment: (855) 434-9285
Community Cat Program
We currently offer FREE spay/neuter surgeries and rabies vaccinations for community cats trapped in Buncombe County, North Carolina. It is estimated that there are approximately 28,000 community cats living in this county alone. With the community’s help, we hope to humanely decrease the number of unwanted cats and kittens in this area.
1. Call (855) 434-9285 to make an appointment for surgery. Walk-ins are accepted Monday through Thursday only, from 8:00 A.M. to 10:30 A.M.
2. Safely trap the cat(s) and bring them to us.
- For the safety of the cat (and our staff), all cats must come in a humane, live-release trap (only one cat per trap). We have traps available to rent for a $60 refundable deposit.
3. All patients will receive a spay/neuter surgery and rabies vaccination (dependent on age), and ear-tip.
- Tipping the cat's left ear is a universal indication that the cat has had spay/neuter surgery.
- We hold all patients for one night after their surgery for recovery.
4. You will then pick them up the day after surgery, so they can be returned to their original location.
“Community Cats” is a term used to describe outdoor, unowned, free-roaming cats. These cats could be friendly, feral, adults, kittens, healthy, sick, altered and/or unaltered. They may or may not have a caregiver. By this definition, the only outdoor free-roaming cats who are not community cats are those that have an owner.
If the cat is in Buncombe County, lives primarily outdoors, and is not known to be an owned pet, then yes!
If you’re near Buncombe County, North Carolina, you can volunteer to help us with trapping. Give us a call at (855) 434-9285 to get started!