ASPCA Grants More Than $110,000 to 15 Shelters Nationwide for 'Clear the Shelters' Adoption Event on August 15thOne-day adoption drive, sponsored by NBC and Telemundo, will help shelter pets find loving homes across the U.S.
NEW YORK, NY—The ASPCA® (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals®) today announced it has granted $114,000 to 15 participating organizations nationwide for ‘Clear the Shelters,’ a one-day nationwide dog and cat adoption effort sponsored by the NBCUniversal-Owned Television Stations division of NBC Universal and Telemundo.
“Acting energetically and collaboratively to encourage adoption is crucial to clearing our shelters and saving lives,” said ASPCA President & CEO Matthew Bershadker. “So we’re honored to provide these 15 organizations with necessary resources to inspire their communities to open their homes and their lives to wonderful dogs and cats.”
‘Clear the Shelters’ will take place on Saturday, August 15, 2015, when hundreds of shelters nationwide who will reduce or completely waive their adoption fees to help connect adoptable animals in their care with safe and loving homes. Participating shelters in each community will also get a boost from their local NBC and Telemundo stations, who will help the shelters in their area promote their events and adoptable animals via broadcast segments and online features.
The ASPCA has provided grant funding to the following participating organizations:
- Animal Care Centers of NYC in New York, N.Y.
- Animal Rescue League of Boston in Boston, Mass.
- Berkeley-East Bay Humane Society, Inc. in Berkeley, Calif.
- Home Fur Good Animal Rescue and Placement in Phoenix, Ariz.
- Humane Society of Broward County in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- Humane Society of Puerto Rico in Guaynabo, P.R.
- Humane Society of Southern Arizona in Tucson, Ariz.
- Los Angeles Animal Services in Los Angeles, Calif.
- Palm Valley Animal Center in Edinburg, Texas
- PAWS, the Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society in Philadelphia, P.A.
- San Antonio Humane Society in San Antonio, Texas
- San Diego Humane Society in San Diego, Calif.
- The Animal Foundation in Las Vegas, Nev.
- The Anti-Cruelty Society in Chicago, Ill.
- Washington Humane Society / SPCA in Washington, D.C.
The ASPCA Adoption Center, located at 424 East 92nd Street on Manhattan’s Upper East Side in New York City, will also participate in ‘Clear the Shelters’, waiving all adoption fees that day.
The ASPCA estimates that of the approximately 7.6 million pets who enter animal shelters each year, approximately 2.7 million are euthanized. Adoption events like ‘Clear the Shelters’ are an effective way to raise awareness about pet adoption and shine a spotlight on the millions of wonderful animals in shelters across the country who are in need of loving homes. For a complete list of participating organizations, visit www.cleartheshelters.com.