Shop With Your Heart – Paleo‑Friendly Shopping List
This guide is for anyone who wants to align with a paleo lifestyle while shopping with more humane animal treatment in mind. Below is a selection of farms and brands from our distinguished Shop With Your Heart Brand List that offer foods aligning with paleo guidelines. Whether you’re already part of the paleo world or just curious about this dietary lifestyle, there’s something on this list for everyone.
Learn more about the nutritional benefits of pasture-raised food here. Recent reviews of scientific literature consistently show that pasture-raised animals produce nutritionally superior meat, milk and eggs.
Look for the labels! These are the three certifications verifying animal welfare and outdoor access that are recognized by the ASPCA Shop With Your Heart program:
|Animal Welfare Approved (AWA)||Global Animal Partnership (GAP) Step 3 and Up||Certified Humane (CH)|
*must include the words “free-range” or “pasture-raised” on eggs and chicken
Or look for a plant-based alternative, denoted by this icon ! When a product shows the basic GAP label without a number, look for separate language on the package identifying the product’s step level.
To purchase these products online or find them in-store, visit our main Brand List.
Label Buster! Loosely Defined Labels
The following claims found on food packaging are loosely defined or weakly regulated by the USDA:
- Free-Range: Producers must demonstrate that animals have “access to the outdoors” but size, quality and duration of access to that outdoor space is unregulated, so conditions vary greatly.
- Grass-Fed: This term does not mean animals are reared entirely on pasture. Pasture access during most of growth is required, but feedlots are allowed in final months. Antibiotics and hormones are also allowed.
- Pasture-Raised/Pasture-Grown: While access to pasture is preferable to confined, indoor systems, the term is undefined so conditions vary between farms.
*Please read product ingredients to ensure complete alignment with your dietary goals.
- Beyond Broth – Immune, Vitality, Yummy Tummy
- White Oak Pastures – beef broth, poultry broth
Plant-Based Dairy Alternatives
- Miyoko’s Creamery – mozzarella, cream cheese, butter
- New Barn – almond milk
- So Delicious – unsweetened almond milk
White Meat – Chicken and Turkey
- Applegate – organic chicken hotdogs
- Bilinski’s – various chicken sausages, meatballs, patties
- ButcherBox – all chicken products certified**
- Cooks Venture – Pasture Raised Chicken – all products certified
- Farmer Focus – free-range chicken
- Hip Chick Farms – organic gluten-free chicken breakfast sausages
- Joyce Farms – Poulet Rouge Fermier chicken
- Koch’s Turkey – free-range heirloom turkey
- Mary’s Free Range Chicken – chicken, turkey
- Skagit Red – Whole Chicken
- Smart Chicken – free range organic line
- Sonoma Red – Whole Chicken
- White Oak Pastures – chicken, turkey
Red Meat – Beef, Pork, Lamb & More
- A&M Farms – all products certified
- Archway Farm – all products certified
- Baldwin Beef – beef
- Brasstown Beef – beef
- Central Grazing Company – lamb
- Country Natural Beef – ground beef *sold only in Whole Foods
- Crane Dance Farm – all products certified
- Goodnight Brothers – all natural pork products
- Hilltop Angus Farm – all products certified
- Joyce Farms – grass-fed beef, Heritage pork
- La Quercia – various cured meats
- Panorama – organic ground beef, steaks, various meat products *sold only in Whole Foods
- Range Patagonian Grass-Fed Beef – all products certified
- Redger Farms – beef
- Straight Arrow Bison – all products certified
- Sun Raised Food – all products certified
- Sun Raised Food – lamb
- Thompson Farms – pork
- Texas Iberico Pork – all products certified
- White Oak Pastures – beef, pork
- Sir Kensington's – sugar-free organic avocado oil mayonnaise, avocado oil ranch
Snacks & Sweets
- White Oak Pastures – grassfed beef jerky, pasture-raised pork snack sticks
- Artisan Tropic – chips
- Eat MUD – dairy-free ice cream sweetened with dates
- Evo Hemp – bars, multiple flavors
- Hail Merry – cups, bites, bars, tarts
- Keep It Real Food Co. – granola, cookies, crackers, bars
- Nutty Goodness – fruit and nut bites
- OHi – superfood bars
- Ona Foods – bars, cookies (contains honey)
- Paleo Prime – cookies, various flavors (contains honey)
- Paleo Treats – Bandito, Cacao Now!, Mustang Bar (contains honey)
- Pan’s Mushroom Jerky – jerky
- Rickaroons Energy Bars – bars
- Shanti Bar – bars
- Snackin’ Free – bars, brownies, cookies, muffins
- Sun Raised Food – salami
- That’s It Bar – various flavors
- This Pie Is Nuts – various pies
- Thunderbird – fruit, nut, seed and spice bars
- You Are Loved – bites, cupcakes, truffles, tarts
- Aldi – Goldhen free-range eggs *only available in select stores
- Belcampo – pasture-raised eggs
- Blue Sky Family Farms – pasture-raised eggs; free-range eggs
- Carol’s Eggs – organic seasonally pasture-raised eggs
- Central Market – organic pasture-raised eggs
- Contented Hen – free-range eggs
- Farmer’s Hen House – free-range eggs
- Great Day – free-range brown eggs
- Natural Grocers – pasture-raised rggs
- Nature’s Yoke – organic, pasture-raised and free-range eggs
- Nellie’s – free-range eggs
- Nest Fresh – organic free-range brown eggs, pasture-raised brown eggs
- New Seasons – organic free-range brown eggs
- Pete and Gerry’s – organic and free-range eggs
- Vital Farms – organic pasture-raised brown eggs
- White Oak Pastures – pasture-raised eggs
- Wilcox Farms – free-range large white eggs
You can find many more paleo-friendly meat and eggs closer to home—visit our Certified Farms By State list to find farms near you.
For a full list of certified meat, egg and dairy brands as well as plant-based alternatives that you can find in stores and online, please visit the full Shop With Your Heart brands list.
Check out our Committed Companies page for a list of companies who have worked with the ASPCA to improve animal welfare in their supply chains. You’ll find brands like Serenity Kids and Kunoa Cattle Company, as well as home delivery companies Butcher Box, Grass Roots Farmers’ Cooperative, Porter Road and Territory—all making an effort for animals!
If you’re having trouble finding welfare-certified or plant-based alternatives, let your local grocery store know you want them to stock more humane products!
*Shopping at Whole Foods Market
Almost all of the beef, chicken, pork and turkey sold in Whole Foods Market stores are Global Animal Partnership certified and labeled. To ensure that the product came from animals that had access to the outdoors, we advise only buying products bearing the GAP (Step 3-5+) logo. Some brands that bear the GAP label at Whole Foods Market will appear in other stores without the logo. That may be a packaging choice or it may mean that those animals were not raised to the GAP standards.
** These chicken items feature an animal welfare certification logo on product packaging when delivered, but not on its online order page. If you receive this product without the certification logo, please contact us at [email protected].
Please contact us at [email protected] if we have missed a company or product that should be on this list.