A Resolution Worth Keeping: Shop With Your Heart
As we set out into the new year full of resolve to improve ourselves and help others, consider this: Nearly every day, we all do something that impacts 9 billion animal lives. We buy food.
Right now, too many of these 9 billion animals are suffering in cages, crowded together in filthy warehouses and subjected to painful, stressful practices. It’s a simple fact that quality of life for chickens, cows, pigs and turkeys raised for meat, eggs and dairy is dictated by what we buy. If we shift our purchases to higher-welfare items, more and more farm animals will have better lives, with room to move and the ability to engage in natural behaviors.
Your 2017 resolution: Shop With Your Heart. It’s not about being perfect! It’s about doing whatever you can with your food budget to make life better for animals.
We’re with you every step of the way:
- Sign the pledge. Commit to being a welfare-conscious shopper in 2017. That means purchasing or requesting products with meaningful welfare certifications and plant based alternatives.
- Learn the labels. Our printable label guide explains the difference between certifications to look for and misleading labels that mean next to nothing.
- Know the brands. This list of higher-welfare brands [PDF] of meat, eggs, dairy can help you find exactly what you’re looking for at the supermarket.
- Bring your store on board. Having trouble finding products? There are easy ways to engage with your store to ask for higher-welfare options.
- Spread the word. Share these cute images widely. The more people get involved, the easier it will be to Shop With Your Heart.
- Ask questions about labels or brands, or share your experience, by joining the Shop With Your Heart community group on Facebook.
Here’s to a happy, healthy and humane year to all—including the farm animals!