9 Tips to Get the Most Out of Walks with Your Dog!
Taking your dog on a walk every day isn’t just important for them to go to the bathroom, it also has numerous health benefits for your dog. Walking can lower their blood pressure, decrease stress and can help them to have stronger muscles and bones. It also gives you a chance to spend some time with your pup—and what’s better than that?
Check out these 9 tips and tricks from our experts at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) to get the most out of your walks and keep your pet feeling good!
- Aim for 30-60 minutes a day based on your pet’s health and age.
- Avoid letting your pets ingest anything on your walks.
- Always use and leash and collar and have proper identification on your pet, including a microchip.
- Watch out for signs of heat stroke including excessive panting, difficulty breathing, drooling, weakness or collapse.
- Clean up after your pet.
- Don’t let your pet linger on hot asphalt.
- Stay hydrated and bring fresh water.
- Avoid walking on extreme weather days.
- Avoid road salt on snowy days.
If you suspect that your pet ingested something potentially toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately.