Director of Major Gifts, Tri-State and Southeast Region
- Development & Communications
- New York, NY
The Director of Major Gifts is a member of the ASPCA’s major gifts team and a crucial contributor to the effort to build the Major Gifts department into a sustained multi-million dollar program. The Director of Major Gifts, Tri-State and Southeast Region will be directly responsible for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of up to 180 major gifts prospects in the specified region, and will play a leading role in cross-departmental efforts to develop those prospects through web communications, direct mail, special events, and more. In addition, the Director will co-supervise the team’s Major Gift Coordinator. The Director of Major Gifts is an integral member of the thought leadership team that develops a strategic vision and implementation plan for the continued development and growth of major giving to the ASPCA.
- In coordination with the VP, Philanthropy, prepare and implement a strategic plan for the cultivation and solicitation of an assigned portfolio of up to 180 Major Donor prospects with the potential to make $10,000+ annual gifts and/or multi-year pledges.
- Achieve annual revenue goal and assist in meeting departmental and campaign goals.
- Increase the quality of major gifts relationships through networking and cultivation.
- Manage correspondence and proposals to major gifts prospects in portfolio prioritizing donor interactions appropriately and ensuring that all related major gifts requests are closed on schedule.
- Conduct visits and other high-level interactions with prospects, documenting actions as appropriate.
- In coordination with the VP, Philanthropy arrange visits to select high-level donor prospects on behalf of the ASPCA’s CEO, member of the Board of Directors, or other senior leadership.
- Collaborate with other development staff to strengthen major gifts strategies, enhance creative approaches to upgrading select donors, and identify other creative opportunities to enhance the ASPCA’s relationship with its major donors.
- Coordinate and manage a minimum of two-three donor-hosted events nationally each year, with a focus on expanding outreach and prospect pools.
- As necessary, serve on strategic planning teams for special campaigns and other major organizational initiatives.
- Assist in team goal setting and expense management.
- Ability to travel approximately 25% of the year.
- Co-manage Major Gifts Coordinator in his/her role as logistics and research assistant to the major gifts department.
- Bachelors degree, Advanced degree a significant plus
- 5 to 7 years of non-profit development experience preferred, at least 5 years of both major gifts and personnel management preferred
- Familiarity with all aspects of fundraising principles and practices; knowledge of annual giving/direct mail and planned giving particularly important
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate individuals, successfully solicit gifts of $100,000 and above, and ability to steward major gifts
- Familiarity with personnel management and best practices management procedures
- Ability to work independently and particularly to formulate creative strategies for major gifts advancement
- Annual gift cultivation and solicitation experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate effectively and professionally with executive staff and board members and to build productive relationships with major gifts prospects.
- Commitment to goal attainment, high degree of initiative, and ability to motivate and engage high level volunteers and donors.
- Demonstrated ability to work with high degree of autonomy and accountability and to be a team player.
- Ability to develop and follow through on creative and effective solicitation strategies and to generate enthusiasm for them among team members.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Strong interest in animal welfare and/or familiarity with New York philanthropic circles preferred.
Our generous benefit package includes the following for full-time employees and (if qualified, we offer domestic partner coverage!) Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, 401(k), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Transit checks, Tuition Assistance Program, Training Seminars, EAP, 50% Animal hospital discount, Vacation, Sick, Personal & Company Holiday time off.