ASPCA Heroes: Major Giving
There are many ways to make a Major Gift, and we are happy to help you find the right opportunity that both meets your philanthropic wishes and supports our mission. The ASPCA receives no public financial support and relies on its major donor partners to accomplish its efforts to alleviate animal homelessness and cruelty across the nation. We hope you find this information to be helpful, and we’d like to thank you for considering a gift to the ASPCA.
Should you wish to make a major gift of $10,000 or more, please contact us to learn more about the many available ASPCA giving options, and to discuss which option is best for you at this time. You may be able to give more than you expected!
Find out more about the ways in which the following ASPCA major gift partners have helped us improve the lives of animals:
Types of Major Gifts
Gifts of cash immediately impact ASPCA programs and provide you the donor with the highest tax deduction.
Gifts of Stock
Through a gift of appreciated securities, you the donor will receive one of the most significant tax breaks from the IRS. A donation of securities is a powerful way to support the ASPCA, providing you with the satisfaction of advancing the lifesaving work of the ASPCA while you receive the following benefits:
- You will pay no capital gains tax on the securities you choose to donate
- You will receive an immediate tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer, regardless of what you initially paid to purchase them
- Your gift of stock, like cash gifts, can be directed to the general support of the ASPCA or to a specific project
Merrill Lynch Account Number: 546-02087
Merrill Lynch DTC Number: 8862
ASPCA Federal Tax ID #: 13-1623829
For Credit to (Account Name):
ASPCA –American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Merrill Lynch Representative is:
Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Inc.
75 Rockefeller Plaza, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10019
Prior to transfer, please call Racquel Alston with name of stock and number of shares to be transferred.
Director, Data & Gifts
212-876-7700 ext. 4517
Donor Advised Fund (DAF)
A Donor Advised Fund (DAF) is a simple way to manage your charitable giving and help save lives by recommending gifts to the ASPCA for use in its programs and services. Learn More
Gifts of Personal Property
By donating a piece of personal property (i.e. an item or collection of art, books, furniture), you are making a valuable contribution to the ASPCA and will also receive a tax deduction.
The donated item can be sold by the ASPCA or can be held for sale at a later date. You, the donor, will immediately receive an income tax deduction for the appraised value of the donated article and no capital gains tax will be assessed. This is the perfect way to make a difference for your charity without making a monetary transaction. For more detailed information on this type of donation, please consult your financial advisor or the IRS directly.
Qualified Charitable Distributions from an Individual Retirement Account (IRA)
If you plan on making a gift to charity this year, consider using your IRA! If you are 70 ½ or older and have an IRA, you must take a required minimum distribution (RMD) each year based on your age and the amount in the account.
A charitable IRA rollover, or qualified charitable distribution (QCD), is a permanent provision in the tax code that allows you to exclude a distribution to charity from your taxable income, and have it count toward your RMD, if it is made directly to a public charity.
- You must be 70 ½ or older when making a QCD.
- The funds must come from an IRA. QCDs cannot come from 401(k)s or 403(b)s.
- You can give all or part of your IRA distribution as a QCD, up to $100,000 per year.
- The distribution must go directly from the financial institution to the charity. You cannot receive the IRA distribution and then send a check to charity out of your bank account.
- QCD gifts must go to a 501(c)(3) organization, such as the ASPCA. These types of donations cannot go to donor advised funds, private foundations, or be used to fund a charitable gift annuity.
- Unlike a normal IRA distribution, which is included in your income and taxable, a QCD from an IRA is not taxable to you. (However, you will not receive a charitable tax deduction for this type of gift).
- Qualified charitable distributions can be a great asset to use for charitable giving even if you do not itemize your deductions on your tax returns. This might be even more attractive in light of recent changes to the tax code, which increased the standard deduction and can lead to fewer tax filers itemizing deductions.
- A qualified charitable distribution counts toward a required minimum distribution (RMD) from an IRA.
- You can use your IRA assets now to benefit the ASPCA’s lifesaving work across the country!
You can easily make this type of gift to the ASPCA by giving the following information to the institution that holds your IRA:
Legal name: American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
Address: 424 East 92nd Street, New York, NY 10128
Tax identification number: 13-1623829
If you have questions about making a qualified charitable distribution from your IRA to the ASPCA, please contact:
Director, Planned Giving
424 East 92nd Street
New York, NY 10128
The material presented in this website is intended as general educational information on the topics discussed herein and should not be interpreted as legal, financial or tax advice. Please seek the specific advice of your tax advisor, attorney, and/or financial planner to discuss the application of these topics to your individual situation.
Legal Information and Tax ID
It is suggested that the following information be included with all gifts:
Name: American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
Principal Address: 424 East 92nd Street, New York, NY 10128
Telephone: (212) 876-7700
Federal Tax ID: # 13-1623829
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is recognized as a 501(c) 3 charitable organization by the Internal Revenue Service.
Julia Naomi Blue
Director, Major Gifts
For correspondence, please mail:
Attn: Julia Naomi Blue
520 8th Ave., Fl. 7
New York, NY 10018