Legal Information (Sandbox)
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
The ASPCA Legal Department provides counsel to the ASPCA and its staff. We cannot provide legal advice to, or act as an attorney for, external organizations or individuals. None of the information on any ASPCA website should be construed as providing legal advice. If you have a specific question, please see our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Last modified: May 24, 2021
Intellectual Property Rights
ASPCA®, the ASPCA Logo Design, We Are Their Voice®, Compassion, Comfort, Love®, ASPCA Kids® and The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals®, are all registered trademarks of The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
The ASPCA owns and maintains the Website for educational and informational purposes only, and it is solely for personal, non-commercial use. All materials on the Website, including but not limited to all information, images, text, video and audio, displays, data, trademarks, service marks, and logos (including the design, selection and arrangement thereof), are, unless otherwise noted, the exclusive property of the ASPCA and are protected by United States copyright, trademark and other applicable law. You must not copy, download, reproduce, republish, reuse, distribute, transmit, store, create derivative works of, publically display, or modify any of the material on the Website for any purpose without the ASPCA's express written permission, except that you may make such temporary copies in a single computer’s RAM and hard drive cache as are necessary to browse the Website. You may also make a single copy of the content displayed on any page of the Website to be used for your personal and non-commercial use which does not harm the reputation of the ASPCA, provided that you do not remove any trademarks, copyrights and any other notice contained in such content. For more information, or for reprint permission, please see our reprint/reproduction policy.
Accessing the Website and Account Security
We reserve the right to withdraw or amend this Website, and any service or material we provide on the Website, in our sole discretion without notice. We will not be liable if for any reason all or any part of the Website is unavailable at any time or for any period.
ASPCA Interactive Services Policy
The ASPCA Blog may enable users to post, submit, publish, display or transmit to other users (hereinafter, "post") content (collectively, "User Contributions") as ASPCA Blog comments. In addition, users may be permitted to link to the Website in accordance with our Linking Policy. All User Contributions, and any website on which a link to the Website appears (a "Linked Site"), must comply with the following Content Standards:
User Contributions and Linked Sites must in their entirety comply with all applicable federal, state, local and international laws and regulations. Without limiting the foregoing, User Contributions and Linked Sites must not:
- Feature any material protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner of the copyright, trademark or other proprietary right;
- Contain any material which is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable;
- Promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- Infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person;
- Be likely to deceive any person;
- Promote any illegal activity, or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act;
- Cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety or be likely to upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization; or
- Give the impression that they emanate from or are endorsed by us or any other person or entity, if this is not the case.
In addition, User Contributions must not involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes and other sales promotions, barter or advertising.
You hereby agree and acknowledge that you are responsible for the content of any User Contribution you submit and/or of your Linked Site, and you have full responsibility for such content, including its legality, reliability, accuracy and appropriateness. We are not responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content, accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any User Contribution or of any Linked Site.
Ownership and Confidentiality
Any User Contribution posted to the Website will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. By providing any User Contribution on the Website, you:
- Grant (or warrant that the owner of such material has expressly granted) to the ASPCA a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate and distribute such material (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or hereafter developed for the full term of any copyright that may exist in such material;
- Represent and warrant that you own or control all rights in and to the User Contribution and have the right to grant the license granted above to us;
- Permit any other user of the ASPCA Blog to access, view, store or reproduce the material for such user's personal use.
Monitoring and Enforcement; Termination
We have the right, but not the obligation, to monitor the content posted on the ASPCA Blog. We may, in our sole discretion:
- Remove or refuse to post any User Contributions for any reason;
- Disclose your identity or other information about you to any third party who claims that material posted by you violates their rights, including their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy;
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of the Website; or
In addition, we have the right to fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or other information of anyone posting any materials on or through the Website. YOU WAIVE AND HOLD HARMLESS THE ASPCA FROM ANY CLAIMS RESULTING FROM ANY ACTION TAKEN BY THE ASPCA DURING OR AS A RESULT OF ITS INVESTIGATIONS AND FROM ANY ACTIONS TAKEN AS A CONSEQUENCE OF INVESTIGATIONS BY EITHER THE ASPCA OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.
Our copyright protection policy provides for the termination, as appropriate, of users who infringe the rights of copyright holders. If you believe your content has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide the following information (required by the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 512) to our Copyright Agent at the address set forth below:
1. A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
2. Identification of the copyright work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
3. Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material;
4. Information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact the complaining party;
5. A statement that the complaining party has a good-faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
6. A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
ASPCA Legal Department
424 E. 92nd Street
New York, NY 10128
Phone: (212) 876-7700
Fax: (212) 860-3560
Email: [email protected]
Additional Interaction Terms
- By subscribing to ASPCA’s text alerts, you consent to receive calls or text/SMS messages placed with an automated dialer or made with a prerecorded voice from the ASPCA. Consent is not a requirement for purchase.
- There is no fee from the ASPCA to receive text messages. Message and data rates may apply- this can be checked with your mobile service provider. Charges are billed and payable to your mobile service provider or deducted from your prepaid account.
- Alerts sent via text/SMS may not be delivered if the mobile phone is not in range of a transmission site, or if sufficient network capacity is not available at a particular time. Even within a coverage area, factors beyond the control of the wireless operator may interfere with message delivery, including the customer’s equipment, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage, and weather. Wireless operators do not guarantee message delivery and will not be held liable for delayed or undelivered messages.
- We will not be liable for any delays in the receipt of any SMS message as delivery is subject to effective transmission from your network operator.
- If you have any questions, text HELP to 89010 or contact us at (888)666-2279 or [email protected]. To stop receiving messages, text STOP to 89010.
- In any way that violates any applicable federal, state, local or international law or regulation (including, without limitation, any laws regarding the export of data or software to and from the US or other countries);
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information or otherwise;
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional, including any "junk mail", "chain letter" or "spam" or any other similar solicitation;
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate the ASPCA, an ASPCA employee, another user or any other person or entity (including, without limitation, by using e-mail addresses or screen names associated with any of the foregoing); or
- To engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone's use or enjoyment of the Website, or which, as determined by us, may harm the ASPCA or users of the Website or expose them to liability.
In addition, you agree not to:
- Use the Website in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair the site or interfere with any other party's use of the Website, including their ability to engage in real time activities through the Website;
- Use any robot, spider or other automatic device, process or means to access the Website for any purpose, including monitoring or copying any of the material on the Website;
- Use any manual process to monitor or copy any of the material on the Website or for any other unauthorized purpose without our prior written consent;
- Use any device, software or routine that interferes with the proper working of the Website;
- Introduce any viruses, trojan horses, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful;
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage or disrupt any parts of the Website, the server on which the Website is stored, or any server, computer or database connected to the Website;
- Attack the Website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack; or
- Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Website.
Users under the age of 18
No one under the age of 18 is allowed to register on the Website. While the Website is designed to be appropriate for all users, we will not knowingly collect personal information from users who are under the age of 18. If you are not yet 18 years old, please do not participate in any of the activities on the Website that require you to provide personal information (like making a purchase or signing up to receive the newsletter).
Disclaimer of Warranties
YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE USING THE WEBSITE SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE WEBSITE AND ALL OF THE MATERIALS ON OR REFERENCED BY THE WEBSITE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS. THE ASPCA HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT AND FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY WARRANTIES WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT SHALLTHE ASPCA BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE WEBSITE OR ANY CONTENT ON THE WEBSITE, INCLUDING ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF GOODWILL, AND LOSS OF DATA), AND WHETHER OR NOT CAUSED BY TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY LIABILITY WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
Changes to the Website
We may update the content on this Website from time to time, but its content is not necessarily complete or up-to-date. Any of the material on the Website may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update such material.
Links from the Website
These terms and conditions apply only to the Website. Where the Website contains links to other websites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your convenience only and are not intended as an endorsement by the ASPCA of the organization or individual operating the third party website. We have no control over the contents of such websites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the third party websites linked to this Website, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites.
The ASPCA is based in the state of New York in the United States. We provide this Website for use only by persons located in the United States. We make no claims that the Website or any of its content is accessible or appropriate outside of the United States. Access to the Website may not be legal by certain persons or in certain countries. If you access the Website from outside the United States, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws. Please be aware that any personal information you transfer to us will be transferred to the U.S. and will be subject to U.S. law. By using this Website, participating in any activities related to this Website, and/or providing us with information, you consent to the transfer of your personal information to the U.S., and waive any claims that may arise under your own local and national laws.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
Waiver and Severability
Your Comments and Concerns
All feedback, comments, requests for technical support and other communications relating to the Website should be directed to: [email protected].