Friday, May 30, 2014 - 10:15
Chicken Scratch is an ASPCA Blog feature that highlights interesting news about farm animals and farm animal welfare.
- The Dodo featured a piece by the ASPCA’s Suzanne McMillan on our new animated video that tells the chilling story of how Big Ag is pushing for dangerous laws that would hide cruelty on factory farms.
- A recent article exploring the welfare consequences of breeding animals for specific traits featured our Truth About Chicken campaign.
- Inhumane and unsanitary factory farms don’t just put consumers of meat, eggs and dairy at greater risk of contracting foodborne illnesses: Lots of people are experiencing health problems just by virtue of living near these industrial facilities.
- A professor at Iowa State has proposed putting virtual reality goggles on chickens to convince them they’re living outside, rather than in filthy, cramped, barren conditions. It’s so ridiculous it begs the simple question: why not just give them the chance to express their natural behaviors?
- This real-talk, jargon-free piece on chicagoist.com makes for a great introduction to the issue of factory farmed, fast-growing chickens and explains how all sides—human and animal—are losing out.
- Speaking of chickens, this video of a boy and a chicken hugging it out has been making us melt.