The Manager, Anti-Cruelty Group Behavior, will manage the assessments, behavior modification, enrichment and recommendations for placement for animals surrendered to the Cruelty Intervention Advocacy Program and seized by the Humane Law Enforcement department. Animals from these programs are housed at the ASPCA Animal Hospital, partner veterinary clinics and boarding kennels. The Manager will conduct behavior assessments according to guidelines provided by the Anti-Cruelty Behavior Team and provide summaries to select ASPCA departments and outside partners, as needed. The Manager will develop individualized enrichment and behavior modification protocols and coordinate the delivery of these interventions with animal caretakers. The animals from these cases are often severely undersocialized; prior experience handling and working with fearful animals is required.
The Manager will act as the liaison between the Anti-Cruelty Group and other ASPCA departments, including the hospital and adoption center. This position will require travel within New York City and neighboring states to conduct behavior evaluations and occasionally transport animals to boarding or placement partners. The Manager will work cross-functionally amongst a variety of teams and departments. Great customer service and communications skills are a must for this position.
- Conduct behavior assessments on cats and dogs housed at the ASPCA and with partner organizations.
- Manage and implement environmental enrichment and behavior modification for sheltered animals.
- Provide summaries on behavior evaluations and recommendations for disposition and placement. Select appropriate dogs for the ASPCA Behavioral Rehabilitation Center.
- Collaborate with other ASPCA behavior team members on treatment plans, appropriate housing and other forms of environmental and social enrichment.
- Provide feedback to other staff members and departments on animal behavior and make suggestions for improving animals’ psychological well-being.
- Collect data and compile reports on animal statistics and behavioral profiles.
- Assist ASPCA behavior team members with evaluations and other behavior services, which will involve occasional travel and field activity.
- Maintain equipment and supplies needed for assessments, behavior modification and enrichment.
- Assist in the development and updating of behavior protocols.
- Handle shy and fearful cats and dogs in a safe and humane way.
- Provide training on animal handling to other ASPCA staff members and partner organizations.
- Transport animals to partner locations.
- Participate in other field activities as needed.
- B.A or B.S. in Animal Science, Zoology or Behavioral Psychology preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of experience handling dogs and cats displaying defensive aggression.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience handling fearful and undersocialized cats and dogs.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with fearful and undersocialized cats and dogs, emphasizing effective, humane, reward-based methods.
- Thorough knowledge of the sciences of animal behavior, training and behavior modification.
- Safe and humane animal handling skills.
- Skilled in behavior assessment, modification and training procedures.
- Meticulous behavioral data and reporting skills.
- Ability to accurately enter data into database programs such as Excel, FileMaker and Access after basic training from supervisor.
- Ability to work in a team environment. Excellent communication skills.
- CAAB or ACAAB or CPDT certified.
The successful candidate acknowledges that this position requires direct, hands-on and sometimes lengthy work with behaviorally compromised animals. The information gathered during these sessions will be used to make disposition decisions including, at times, euthanasia.
We encourage a candidate who demonstrates outstanding inter-personal communication and the ability to work in a team environment or independently, with a high degree of integrity and accountability. This position welcomes a candidate with a sense of humor that can balance flexibility and enthusiasm and thrives on detail!!
Our generous benefit package includes the following for full-time employees and (if qualified, we offer domestic partner coverage!) Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, 401(k), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Transit checks, Tuition Assistance Program, Training Seminars, EAP, 50% hospital discount, Vacation, Sick, Personal & Company Holiday time off.