If your child has tried to volunteer at a shelter, you might have been told he or she is too young. But there is much more your kids can do for shelter pets. Check out some of the cool stuff kids have done at shelters across the country.
1. Go Viral These Hawaiian kids created a promotional video and a mega-catchy song for the Lana’I Animal Rescue Center.
2. Fill ‘Er Up Take a tip from kids in the capital. They helped the Washington Humane Society prepare Busy Buckets—buckets filled with stuff like toys and treats that help, you guessed it, keep shelter dogs busy and happy.
3. Toy Story Check out these awesome cat toys kids made out of extra collar material at Sacramento County Animal Care. Your local shelter might have some extra stuff lying around that would make a great cat toy—all you have to do is ask…and get crafty.
4. PB & J? Make That PB & K... We’re betting Girl Scout Troop 40892 had as much fun stuffing Kong toys with peanut butter as the dogs at McKamey Animal Center had unstuffing them!
5. Join a Program Just for Kids It’s true, some shelters have awesome programs made especially for kids. At the Bay Area Humane Society in Wisconsin, kids even get to help teach shelter pets new tricks.