The holiday season is in full swing, and whether you’re almost done with your holiday gift shopping or you’re just getting started, we have some ideas for you! In Part One of our Holiday DIY Series, we’re sharing an easy-to-make recipe for homemade pet treats that your dog or cat is sure to love. This is also a great family activity that will help strengthen the bond between your kids and your pet. Here’s the recipe:
Pumpkin Pie Cookies (for Cats and Dogs!)
2 cups rice flour
½ cup oatmeal
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup grated carrots
½ cup unsweetened plain applesauce
¼ cup flour for rolling
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, blend carrots, applesauce and pumpkin until smooth.
- Mix rice flour and oatmeal in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix gently until dough forms.
- On a floured breadboard, place dough and roll out to about ¼inch in thickness.
- Use cookie cutters (holidays shapes would be perfect!) to cut out little cookies.
- Place cookies on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for seven minutes.
- Flip treats over and bake for five more minutes. Remove from oven and cool thoroughly.
- If your pet loves peanut butter, you can add a bit to these treats as “frosting”! We thinned our peanut butter with water to create a glaze.
*Special Note: Remember, these recipes are treats and should not replace your pet’s regular meals. Please check with your veterinarian if your pet has special dietary needs or food allergies.
Stay tuned to ASPCA Parents for additional DIY gift ideas all month long. Happy holidays!