This Friday marks one of our favorite days of the year—it’s Take Your Dog to Work Day!
We can’t wait to see the parade of pooches that will walk through our office doors. If your workplace is participating in this fur-filled occasion, we hope you’ll join the fun and consider bringing your pup along with you. But, before you head to work, take a look at these tips for preparing your dog for the 9 to 5 workaday:
1. Dog-proof your workspace. Make sure there are no loose cords hanging from your desk, and that you stow any potentially toxic substances such as plants, markers, and other office supplies. It’s also a good idea to empty any trash cans near your desk so your pooch won’t attempt to sniff out any tasty leftovers from yesterday’s lunch.
2. Brush up on manners. Go over Sit, Stay and Come, and you should be off to a great start. Check out the ASPCA Animal Behavior Center for a full list of training tips.
3. Pack your bags. Bring food, treats, bowls, a leash, and paper towels to clean up any accidents. You might also want to bring a dog bed or blanket and your dog’s favorite chew toys. If you’ll be away from your pup at any point; you may wish to bring an ex-pen or baby gate for your doggie area. And as always, make sure your four-legged intern is wearing a sturdy collar with an ID tag.
4. Take it easy. Keep in mind that even the best-behaved dog might feel overwhelmed by the new environment of your office, or by your co-worker’s furry friends. Ease your dog into the workday by keeping him close to your desk, and by taking a few ten-minute breaks to give your dog some fresh air and exercise.
5. Get your cameras ready! If you bring your dog to work tomorrow, snap plenty of photos—we’d love to see them! Tweet us your pictures @ASPCA using the hashtag #takeyourdog, and we’ll share our favorites!
Check out our full list of office etiquette tips for dogs, and make sure your dog is well rested for a busy day at the office!