As you gather around the table this Thanksgiving and give thanks for good food and good friends, don't forget the furry members of the family. Check out these easy-to-make, festive treats for your pets.
Pumpkin Pie Stuffing
1/2 cup canned or freshly cooked pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup yogurt or cottage cheese (only use plain)
1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
2 tablespoons low-fat graham cracker
• Put a spoonful of cooked oatmeal at the bottom of a Kong or other toy to seal the small hole.
• Put two spoonfuls of pumpkin into the toy. Follow with a spoonful of yogurt or cottage cheese.
• Repeat, layering the pumpkin and yogurt or cottage cheese until the toy is almost full. Then cram a few pieces of graham cracker into the end of the toy. Serve warm or frozen.
Pumpkin Pie Cookies (for cats and dogs!)
2 cups rice flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup unsweetened plain applesauce
1/4 flour for rolling
• In a food processor blend carrots, applesauce and pumpkin until smooth.
• Mix rice flour and oatmeal in a bowl.
• Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix gently until dough forms.
• On a floured breadboard place dough and roll out to about 1/4 inch in thickness.
• Use cookie cutter to cut out little cookies.
• Place cookies on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for seven minutes.
• Flip treats over and cook for five more minutes. Remove from oven and cool thoroughly.
Remember, these recipes are treats and should not replace your pet’s regular meals. Please check with your veterinarian if your pet has special dietary needs or food allergies.