Animals Can't Dial 911, But You Can

Friday, October 14, 2011 - 1:00pm

Animal cruelty is a crime in every state. And one of the most important actions you can take is to report suspicious behavior. But who do you call? Great question. The police department that covers your city is required to investigate complaints of animal cruelty. There may also be an animal control agency or humane society who conducts these investigations. But regardless of who handles the case, chances are without your phone call the abuse will go unreported.

"By making a complaint to the police or humane society in your area—you can even do so anonymously—you are making sure that animals in need are rescued and that perpetrators are brought to justice," says ASPCA Special Agent Joann Sandano.

If you live in New York City, you can file your complaints directly with the ASPCA Humane Law Enforcement department, at (212) 876-7700, ext. 4450, or [email protected]. To find contact information for your local shelter, visit the ASPCA's searchable shelter database.

Cupid and BernieSay it Loud, Wear it Proud.
You don't have to be a cop or humane agent to help fight animal cruelty, all you need is the courage to call them. Help spread the word with this 911 shirt—and speak for those who can’t.